Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Journey to the land of smile


It's not overwhelmed to say that Thais friendliness reflect from their smile. I've read about other's experiences during visiting a place where longest monarch on earth still highly respected. But for me, I saw more smile during my short trip.
Some people told their nice stories about the place and the people, some say the opposite. Yea...journey indeed give a different lesson to each one of us. I remember this old quote ''Journeys equal to half of human knowledges. Those who stay alive have more to see, but those who travel in a journey will see more.''
This quote encourage me enough jump in to assorted journeys.
While this time, my journey has come to this country. Siam, we used to call this land back days, but now the world call it Thailand or khrungthep mahanakorn boworn rattanakosin mahintharayuttha mahadilokpop noparaptratchathani burirom udomratchaniveymahasathan amornpiman avatransathit sakkathattiay-avusnumkarmprasit. The longest country name according to Guiness.
This place only 3,5 hours away, with many direct flights reach there. Voila..my journey begin with smile as well :)
Sometimes I envy how Thais, express their love to the king and the royal family. Then, I begin day dreaming how we, Indonesian, able to love our leader as deep as Thais love their king :D. Sigh....just day dreaming.
Perhaps someday, when prosperity indeed greets each one of us every single day. Thai's government proudly to say, its people no need any green card to flew away. Since there's no threat inside the kingdom, neither uncertainty about fulfilling basics rights.
And here I am, again standing amazed as usual everytime hearing at modest concepts.
And again,I got amazed with warm embrace of how buddhist reflects their daily life. Livin a life to serve nature, bring tranquility of mind and soul, watering sunny days with smile, indeed amazed me.
Perhaps I only saw a tiny slice of Bangkok's day to day life, and I'd better be not to to give any premature conclusion. But at least, i've learned few things from its people that i've met.
My journey is quite short, only four days in Krung Thep or we usually called Bangkok. As usual, my biggest interest always stays close from aging places. It always make me feel like collecting puzzles of life, then glued them to sense slice mosaic of the past.
A friend of mine used to ask, would you like to change anything if you could turn back the time? I stil remember answering this question with shaking my head. I'd love to remember the past, I like looking at old pictures, old musics, old places just reminiscent of old times, wondering what have happened and slightly sensing the atmosphere through those objects. But I never want to walk the same line of time twice, both to change anything in the past or to repeat anything. To gain and to lose is likely in our lifes, therefore no need to turn back the time to collect or to dispose anything.


2 comments:

Stephen Newton said...

Hi Dewi,
Sorry I missed you on Yahoo. What a wonderful perspective on travel. I'm so glad you are seeing and experiencing new places and things.

Anonymous said...

wat arun, isn't it?
glad to see you travel around. finding some new perspectives is a great thing ;p
btw, thanks a lot for lovely words and pray.