Thursday, August 23, 2007

Hidden Lagoon




Myself..I need a rest, from all routines and new substance I’ve been dealing with everyday. Figuring out what might be the best retreat from all strain, I decide to search one quiet place, and finally found a piece of bliss in this island. A small island called Sempu.
Everything look picturesque, and gallons of sweat running out from this pore of mine certainly paid off, right after I finally found a hidden astounding clear water lagoon right in the middle of the forest. I should called it a forest, since it’s not so opaque to call it a jungle. Actually, Sempu is a conservation forest, habitat of a small Javan leopard (panthera pardus melas), or we usually call macan tutul or macan kumbang, conservationist said. But, I didn’t met any of this last biggest predator in Java. Panthera pardus melas considered as a big cat, along with jag (panthera onca), harimau (panthera tigris) and even a lion. But among those big cats, macan tutul or panthera pardus melas have the biggest subspecies, around 24 subs still can be found on earth.
As a big cat, macan tutul is not quite big, around 90-150 cm long, 60-95 cm high, and weight around 40-60 kg, and the main identity of course its unique spot. Actually, I don’t know what to do if I finally see one of this magnificent feline, would it become a danger or fantastic experience in my whole life. I never know, since I haven’t learn much about this species. As a predator, of course they have regular instinct to catch its prey, but I always convince myself, those magnificent big cats have more fear to us than our own fear of them. I think, they will try to avoid human existence and try to keep distance from us. And perhaps this assumption works when I enter Sempu island.
This island is not so far from the mainland, it’s only took 10 minutes to cross the small strait and reach the small island, which has no pure water to drink from the ground. It means, we have to carry our own water and food supply to stay there. And I only brought 5 liters of water during this trip, cause I only spent one night there. I jump into a small boat, that carried 5 passenger that time, and only cost not more than Rp 75.000 (US$7,5) round way.
It’s almost dusk when the boat reach the first shore of the island. I have to race with time, since the sunlight goes dimmer and the night begin to crawl. I’d rather walk fast to reach the hidden lagoon, which already turn into temporary camp site once a while, then comb the dark forest with a dim light from my small flashlight. I don’t bring any matches, cause I never intend to burn anything from this place even a small twig.
No time to enjoy the trekking or memorize the narrow path that I put my firm step on. Me, and four other backpacker walk fast combing the forest. The path is not to muddy but little bit slippery, we just watch our step and not to lose our balance, while the bag on my back quite weighty. The scenery still beautiful, though the light goes yellowish as the sun moves further. The giant trees, remind everyone of this rainforest maturity, and the root out trees sometimes whispering incomprehensible fear. And this fear also creep inside my thought, a glimpse fear of helplessness which sometimes make me need to inhale more oxygen, filling my lungs with fresh air to make my brain awake from temporary glitch.
Took 1,5 hours trekking to finally found a beautiful lagoon, or I should call it as a beach miniature. The clean sandy beach, stunning corals, its clear water mesmerize me. The sunlight almost swept away when I got to the camp site, but my friend Farah couldn’t resist the temptation to go for a night swim. At first I reluctantly accept the idea, but the cold water succeed drag me in.

The place is amazing, I don’t know how many times I praise The Lord for letting me witnessing this beauty. I never go out very often lately, so this journey became a blissful excursion.


4 comments:

Michael, Ryan , Emily's Mommy said...

hallo Dewi, pantainya sama nggak ya dengan pantai di filmnya Leonardo di caprio.. Beach kalau nggak salah judulnya..
Bagusnya...airnya asin ya?
oh ya sorry baru mampir lagi nih, habis kemarin kemarin lama banget sih dikau nggak nulisnya..:)

Stephen Newton said...

Your hidden place sounds quite beautiful, Dewi. I wish I could experience it as well. I'm very much in need of a quiet, hidden place where I can renew my strength.

Thanks for taking me there in your blog!

Lili said...

Assalaamualaikum Ukhti Dewi, akhirnya ada postingan bru lagee. Kangen jg sama kamu Wi. What a beautiful journey. Memang Subhanallaah, kalau sudah melihat2 pemandangan ciptaan Allah, kasihan sama yg atheis. Gak bersyukur kalau langit dan bumi ini ada penciptanya....

Ummi dah update yg baru tuh..he.he.

Stephen Newton said...

Is it time for a new post, Dewi? Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!