Thursday, September 29, 2005

Apple tree

Many years ago, I heard this story from my teacher at the basic school, then few days ago I still found this story written on a tabloid. I guess, that will be okay if I share this story, in front of Ramadhan.
...
It was so long ago when the morning dew still as fresh as a sprinkle of a creek water. There was an apple tree, stand still, with lush green leaves embrace each and every sprig. And its ripe and fresh fruits, flowering the whole body of this tree. This place always become a favorite playground of mine, feels like heaven every time climbing its branch, eating ripe fruits fresh from the tiny twig which hold Them. Not forget to mention countless cat nap I’ve passed under this shady tree.
I love this place as a playground and the tree loves me too, I can sense its whisper to express the joy of accompanying me for a whole day. I realize its pleasure every time I eat the fruit and climb up till the highest branch, even my absence give nothing but yearning to this tree.
As time goes by and I grow as a strong teenage, no time for me to play around that apple tree anymore. Hangout more with friends, and couldn’t see the joy of napping under this tree anymore. But one day when I got so confuse, this tree become a destination to approach.
“Come on, play again around me like old times,” the apple tree offer.
“No, I’m not a child anymore. I don’t enjoy playing around you anymore. I want to enjoy my youth, but don’t have any money to fulfil it,” I said.
“Why don’t you pick all the ripe fruits you can find in me, then sell them to earn some money you need. You’ll get whatever you need with the money,” this apple tree kindly offer again.
I was so happy hearing this, then reap all fruit on the tree and bring them to the market without thinking twice or even look back at the apple tree.
The apple tree already feel happy, every time saw me happy. But years later, I never visit this tree again, not even a single news ever cross to notify where am I. The apple tree no longer rich with fruits, but its leafy branch still offer warm shelter to everyone.
As I went adult, the power of time already craft unavoidable mark upon my face. I still notice that old apple tree, then come to it with my filthy face.
“What happen with you, come to me and have fun again,” this apple tree still longing for me like old times.
“No, I have no more time to play. I have to work to build a house for my family. Would you help me?,” I said.
“I’m so sorry, I have no home but you can cut off my big branch to build a house for your family,” this tree still kindly offer.
Once again, without thinking twice I cut off all big branches of the apple tree to build a house for the entire family of mine. After I got what I want, I left this apple tree with wide open smile around my face. And again, this tree look so happy as I feel happy.
But another years have come knocking into my doors again. I grow much-much older, when confusion come closer to me, this apple tree always cross on my mind as a destination. For every problems that I’ve had, this tree always offer a way out, so is now.
“It’s been so long you never visit me, come here and have some fun like old times,” this apple tree said.
“I’m sorry, but I’m not a little boy who love to play with you anymore. I’m old, and I want to be a sailor, but I have no boat to sail. Would you help me?,” I said.
“I don’t have a boat to give, but you can cut off my body to make a boat. With this you can reach your dreams become a sailorman,” unconditional offer uttered from this tree again.
My happiness shimmering as I found big and strong log to make a boat. I leave that tree without saying goodbye or even grateful for the gift. But, as always the apple tree always look happy for me as my smile frown upon my face.
As seasons changed, months walking on its path, I fell helpless as an old man. But that apple tree always become a destination when I feel languish. So here I come to a tree who has done so many things for me.
“I’m so sorry I have no more to give to you, I’ve given my fruit, my branch and my body to you. Now, I’m just a bunch of root with no power to grow anymore,” this tree sadly admitt.
“I no longer need your apple to eat, since I have no more teeth to bite. I no longer need your branch, cause my lack of power to cut it off and I won’t need your log, since I have no more power to sail. I just feel so tired and want to rest,” I said.
“Then come on closer, rest in my arms,” this tree last offer.
Now, how I realize this tree already offer me so much. The sacrifice this tree offer just to saw smile crossed upon my face, done beyond it’s capability to survive.
This apple tree mentioned in this story is perfectly like our parents. When we’re kids, we love to play with them, but when we grow bigger we prefer hang out with friends while we still asked for their favor.
Then we left them to search the essence of our existence in live, but still we need their help to make us stand still. We just come to ask for a favor which they never refuse to offer, but we easily left them as we got what we need.

Entering the Ramadhan, I would like to remind you to kiss your parents and give all gratitude they always deserve. May God shower them with blessings.


15 comments:

Anonymous said...

hiks, postingannya bikin aku pingin mudik lagi.....hiks.....padahal baru minggu kemarin aku mudik, tapi dah kangen rumah lagi karena baca postingan ini.....hiks......

btw, apple pie juga enak lho, ndi! (lho, opo hubungane? hehehehe *sambil menengok ke luar jendela, liat hujan dah reda ato belum*

Stephen Newton said...

Dewi, That's a wonderful story. Thanks for telling it again. It is true that now (after being a parent) I understand more about my own parents and what they tried to do for me. Unconditional love is the most important aspect of being a parent. Love our children no matter what.

BTW, it looks like the first comment is "comment spam" and not a real comment.

ok said...

nice story wi' and solo is my hometown :) mubarak ramadhan dewi :)

Anonymous said...

dewi,
What a beautiful story! It reminds me of the large coconut tree that is at my parents house... I always loved to sit under the shade of that tree when I was pregnant with my son and it was too hot to stay in the house.

Speaking of trees... have you ever heard of a Pawpaw tree? I think they also call it the Poor Man's banana tree. The fruit resembles something like a banana but tastes like a mixture of banana and apple. The species name is Asimina Triloba. I'm curious about the fruit!

Anonymous said...

finally you're back! :) with another nice posting... :)

'met puasa...

Michael, Ryan , Emily's Mommy said...

tante Dw, sorry if mama not coming around here often.coz we are ( Michael and Ryan ) not allow mam ato surf at web.
Michael will turn off the PC or close the laptop when he see mama play it.
Just when daddy at home and Michael sleeps mama can free to surf hehehe.
sorry ya tante. dan mohon maaf lahir batin semoga ibadah kita diterima.Amien

Stephen Newton said...

Dewi,
When you are not so busy, I am looking forward to your comments about The DaVinci Code.

How's that thesis coming?

Anonymous said...

i am more home child now, always with my both parents. I'd kiss my parents. But when I enter Christmas, or when i get money, huahaha *evil smiles*

Ramadhan Mubarak :)

Stephen Newton said...

Dewi,
Halloween derives from ancient pagan rituals. October signals the end of harvest time and the beginning of winter. It was once thought that spirits could visit the living at this time. Many countries celebrate something similar. In Mexico it is called "The Day of the Dead."

But, I agree that holidays of any kind are best spent with one's family.

Anonymous said...

how's your thesis coming, girl?

funeno said...

kemane aje nehhh? puasa udah mau kelar postingannya gak ade? hehe.. selamat puasa yah. selamat lebaran juga. mohon maaf lahir dan bathin. salam buat keluarga

Stephen Newton said...

Now that Ramadan is over, will you have time to enlighten us with a new post?

Anonymous said...

selamat hari lebaran, minal aidin wal faizin

maafin atas semua salah dan khilaf

(pas mampir ke sini saat blogwalking, eh, ternyata blm ada juga postingan baru. sibuk sekallleeeee.......)

Lili said...

ass wr wb
Subhanallah, Umi selalu diingatkan jika membaca postingan ibu Dewi ini...makasih yah.

Sekalian, met lebaran n mhn maaf lhr n bathin.

ayo posting lagi dong cerita lebarannya.

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I just ran across your site and enjoyed reading through everything.

I'm trying to get a blog going on my site too. But I dont think i have the patience to do it!

--Amy
My shrub Site